Welcome to Suni Daez!

Miscellaneous musings...
Random writing...
Everything under the sun!

December 15, 2007

Angels... They Do Exist!

The other day while traveling to another town, I was suddenly lost. For those who know me, it is understood that this is not at all unusual as I have a terrible sense of direction. In addition, I am a reluctant driver, which translates to "I hate driving!" I'm a decent driver but I just don't relish the task. And unfortunately, I am not the proud owner of a GPS system, yet. I became lost because that particular day, a tanker had overturned on the interstate, forcing state troopers to send traffic on an alternate route.

This was only my second trip to the pediatric gastroenterologist's office some three hours away from my home. I had mapped out my route on MapQuest.com and had no reason to fear losing my way. That was until I came upon flashing lights everywhere and officers with orange flashlights waving me to the exit to the right. I did what I normally do... I panicked!

At the traffic signal, I decided to turn left. There was a gas station immediately to the right, so I pulled in with the notion of going in to ask for directions to a portion of the interstate that would be past the point where I was forced to exit. I saw a man who had just finished pumping gas. So, I decided to ask him for directions. Once I told him what happened and what I was trying to do, he said, "Sure! Piece of cake! As a matter of fact, I'm going that way. You can just follow me." I thanked him and did just that. Can you hear that? I'm still sighing with relief.

He was right. It was a piece of cake. All I needed to do was turn around and head in the opposite direction where there was another entrance to the interstate. I had no clue it was that easy! My son and I were back on track and I was at ease.

I've always known that angels exist. That gentleman's kindness only served to solidify that fact. He was my angel that day. You probably think that I'm overreacting. Perhaps, but all that matters is that I don't. Getting help from a stranger with a good heart and no ill will these days is almost a miracle. So, to all the good people out there who don't mind helping someone, even a stranger, thank you!

If you've encountered an angel recently, feel free to share your story. Additionally, if you own a GPS, please give the name and pros and cons of your system (TomTom, Magellan, Garmin). Those of us trying to figure out which system is the best would love to have your opinion. www.CNET.com might be of interest to anyone looking for reviews and ratings on various GPS brands.

No comments: