Welcome to Suni Daez!

Miscellaneous musings...
Random writing...
Everything under the sun!

July 18, 2013

AT&T 's demeaning commercials go unopposed.

Paula Deen has been the subject of public scrutiny. She has lost several sources of income. Deen is now infamous for being a racist in addition to being famous for her cooking.  Yet, one of the largest phone service providers airs multiple "It's not complicated" commercials showing young black children saying downright dumb things or simply looking dimwitted while the white children deliver the intelligent lines and this egregious practice goes unopposed. 

At first, I decided that it was one commercial and not worth making a fuss over.  "I wonder who that mother is who would want her child to appear in a commercial so badly that she would allow AT&T to demean her kid by having him (or her) look stupid on national television," I commented to my son. That was pretty much the end of it for me. 

It was just the beginning. The AT&T commercials apparently have commercial appeal (pun intended) because the communications giant keeps rolling them out. I believe there are at least four of them.  In each instance, the African-American child is saddled with the less than sharp commentary while the white children are made to look clever.  The host of the question/answer session with the children is a white male.

With racial tensions running high because of the controversial Zimmerman verdict, the last thing that I wish to do is stir the pot.  However, it is evident that AT&T is going to continue to exploit these children and no one is paying attention. Again, the parents are allowing their children to appear in the commercials, but that does not mean that the general public cannot speak up on their behalf. Let's let AT&T know that we are watching and it's not because we find their commercials amusing. They offend me each time they air, hence my post. 

AT&T, Change your shameful practices! It's not complicated.











Note: While searching for the commercials to add to my post, I found this video of another person who feels the same as I do, that there is a clear pattern of the black children being made to look ridiculous in these commercials.


  

No comments: